5 Tips for Helping Men to Take Supplements
Introducing a new task into your daily routine can be tricky for some and taking new daily supplements is just that! Here are 5 tips from Dr. Rory Gibbons to help make it happen.
- Share the why: Men are more likely to succeed in taking their supplements if they know why they need them. It is key to highlight that conception supplements for men are helping them make stronger, faster and greater numbers of sperm. Those characteristics all help with fertility, and also support the health of their future baby. If you really want to quantify the why, having an objective semen analysis done can highlight the current levels of sperm health and these markers can be used as a launch point to a new health goal.
- Habit stack: Pair the new habit of taking your supplements with another habit that you partake in every day. This is called “habit stacking”. For instance, if you make a coffee every morning, put your supplements beside the coffee maker and take them while the coffee is brewing. Eventually, the new habit will become as automatic as making coffee.
- Set reminders: Gentle smart phone reminders can be incredibly helpful in succeeding, especially if your schedule is a bit chaotic. Try to select a time where you will be in the same place as your supplements when the reminder bell goes off. Try to select a sound or song that you find pleasant in nature.
- Get an accountability buddy: Find an accountability partner that is preferably not your baby-making partner. Although the action of taking some capsules is relatively fast, it is still a new habit and like any habit, accountability improves the rate of success. Explain to your accountability partner what the task is, what level of success you are trying to achieve (i.e., taking supplements 80% of the week, etc), and what you would like from them (text message check-in, email reminder, or just simply a person to acknowledge a notification from you). Disclosing to them why you are doing what you’re doing is up to you.
- Celebrate wins: Who said only large achievements deserve celebration? Research shows that if we have a positive reward set for achievement of a task we are more likely to succeed in that goal. Try to set a reward for yourself that supports your goal of becoming a healthier human being. It could look like this: “If I take my supplements 80% of the per week, I get to purchase a new pair of workout shorts”.
At the end of the day, taking a supplement to support your overall health and conception outcomes may end up helping you feel more energy and live a longer, more vibrant life! That’s the ultimate motivation!
trusted education is needed.