Collagen Pumpkin Pie
For the crust:
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 2/3 cup tapioca or cassava flour
- 1/2 cup sustainable palm oil shortening cold, or grass-fed butter
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 egg
- 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup full fat coconut milk blended
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- Pinch salt
- 3 large eggs room temp
- 4 scoops Needed Collagen
To make the crust
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. In the bowl of a food processor, pulse all crust ingredients EXCEPT egg to create thick crumbs, then pulse/process in the egg until a dough forms.
- Gather the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic, and chill in the refrigerator at least 20 minutes prior to rolling or pressing into your pie dish.
- To get the dough into your pie dish, you can either:
- Roll out the dough into a circle between two sheets of parchment. Place your pie dish upside-down over the dough, then using the bottom parchment paper, flip the dough into the dish. Finish by pressing it into the bottom and sides of the pie dish to fit (it’s ok if it breaks, just patch it up with more dough!)
- If you don't want to roll out the dough you can simply press evenly into 9 inch pie dish using your hands. Be patient and refrigerate dough as needed to make it easier to work with
- Once pressed into the pie dish, gently pierce the dough with a fork all over so it doesn't puff up while baking.
- Bake pie crust in 9” pie dish in the 375 degree oven for 10 minutes until bottom is set, remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before pouring in filling.
- Whisk all ingredients except eggs, then whisk in eggs 1 at a time, don’t overmix.
- Pour filling into partially baked crust, spreading it all around to seal edges. Cover crust with aluminum foil and bake (at 375 degrees F) for 55-65 minutes or until center is nearly set (still a bit jiggly) and crust is deep golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely at room temperature to avoid excessive cracking of the filling. Once cooled, serve, or, cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days prior to serving. Serve topped with coconut whipped cream if desired. Enjoy!
original recipe modified from https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/
trusted education is needed.